2016年6月9日 星期四

‘(More or less) decisive moments’, Magnum photographers. 馬格蘭攝影師

Wrestlers through the painted gate, Paharganj, Delhi, India. "I shot this image in 1988 when I was doing my second book on Delhi. While driving past, I saw the main door of a wresting complex (Akhara) garishly painted with two guys in a dramatic wresting posture. I stopped and as I pushed the door open this is what was going on inside. I stayed on the spot and shot a few frames where the inside and outside human body shapes came into certain relationships, thanked them, shut the door and came back. There are certain situations that are physically very dramatic and potent; what you need to do is to wait for the moment when respective elements - in this case human forms and physical action - come into a certain kind of rhythm and relationship to make the experience whole and enhance the strength and structure of the frame, bringing a certain kind of dynamism into it. Of course, the colors were dramatic and the forms did the rest of it, and this is how the decisive moment appears to disappear again." (Photograph and quote by Raghu Rai/Magnum Photos)
Birthday party at Olympia, a gated community, Wellington, Fla. 2005. "This image recalls a moment in my own life; it puts me in the shoes of myself before I moved abroad in my thirties, just starting my career as a photographer, so is this how I saw the US back then? Having returned to make new images after almost a decade away, it begs me to consider how I've changed, how my perceptions of this country have changed, and how image-making has changed. This is one of the few early images of mine that have stayed with me over time." (Photograph and quote by Carolyn Drake/Magnum Photos)
‘I am about to call it a day.’ Amarillo, Texas. "Sometimes, you realize that you're part of a moment that has all the visual elements that are necessary to create a good photo, and therefore communicates the atmosphere you were a part of. For me, that is the decisive moment. I had such a moment with this family in Amarillo, Texas. They had every reason to be unhappy and give up: three of the four family members were sick, they were poor and lived in a very dirty small trailer full of pests. Instead of going home, the parents often picked their children up after school and drove around town. That particular day in the cold winter they went to buy sodas and chips and decided, instead of going to the movies, to drive around the rich neighborhoods to watch the overwhelming Christmas lights covering these big houses. They never felt any jealousy towards the rich, they were just enjoying the beautiful lights and their time together. I felt the same and was happy that they shared this moment with me. This kind of moment is very rare and only happens to me about once or twice a year." (Photograph and quote by Bieke Depoorter/Magnum Photos)
Sukhum, Abkhazia, Georgia, 2005. Although Abkhazia is isolated, half-abandoned and still suffering war wounds due to its unrecognized status, both locals and Russian tourists are drawn to the warm waters of the Black Sea. This unrecognized country, on a lush stretch of Black Sea coast, won its independence from the former Soviet republic of Georgia after a fierce war in 1993. "I took this image at the Black Sea beachfront in the city of Sukhumi in the unrecognized republic of Abkhazia. Tourists and locals were hanging out picnicking and bathing. When people are hurling themselves from old shipwrecks I don't necessarily think, 'Oh, here is a decisive moment'. Actually, I often don't think so much at all when I photograph, it is more gut instinct working, just lots of reactions. For me, the thinking and categorizing is better done before and after the actual photographing. Anyways, I don't think too much about the classic concept of the decisive moment, for me, they are just moments. Some are complicated, where lots of elements come together; some are simple low-hanging fruit; some are long, drawn-out sluggish affairs; others are over in a split second. Whatever it is, the shutter had better be open at the right time." (Photograph and quote by Jonas Bendiksen/Magnum Photos)
Foncillon beach, Royan, Charente-Maritime, France, August, 1982. "The real often yields explosive propositions. A childhood beach, stretched ropes supporting fragmented bodies in precarious balance, chopped off by the edges of the photographic frame. I was almost certainly influenced by pictoral references from the Renaissance without quite being conscious of these reminiscences … Being ready. Recognizing and framing what comes suddenly to the surface, without having ever really considered or planned it. Making choices in the instant, choosing instinctively, under the effect of submerged references, more or less conscious. To make choices, to choose incessantly, this is one of the most interesting and beautiful aspects of art and of photography." (Photograph and quote by Jean Gaumy/Magnum Photos)
Monastery of Baoguang (divine light) Buddhist temple showing an inscription on the wall symbolizing happiness, which the visitors, with their eyes shut, try to touch in the center in order to gain happiness, in Xindu, Sichuan province, China, April 27, 1984. "The flying bag, taken on Friday April 27, 1984. From my first photo-reportage in China. 1984. I took a flight from Paris to Moscow, then, a train from Moscow to Peking: one week on the Trans-Mongolian train. Two days after our arrival, on the agenda was a visit to the Buddhist monastery Baoguang (literal translation: Heavenly Light) of the city of Xindu, in the Sichuan province. On the wall, the symbol of happiness was carved, painted and embossed. According to tradition, Chinese tourists, starting fifteen meters from the wall, walking with eyes closed and arms outstretched, would try to touch the symbol right in the middle of the four embossed points. If they succeeded, it is believed that their life would be full of happiness. I still don't understand the path of this flying bag, neither where it came from, nor where it would like to go." (Photograph and quote by Guy Le Querrec/Magnum Photos)
Magnum photographers reflect on ‘(More or less) decisive moments’
https://www.yahoo.com/news/magnum-photographers-reflect-more-less-000000878/photo-p-wrestlers-painted-gate-paharganj-photo-211749945.html
Magnum Photographers
http://avax.news/fact/Magnum_Photographers.html
Leticia, Amazonas, Brazil, 1966. The Amazon river. “The decisive moment” is a term coined by Henri Cartier-Bresson, the French pioneer who championed composed – rather than purely instinctive – photography. Magnum photographers were invited to select images that sum up the decisive moment for them, and share their thoughts. (Photo by Bruno Barbey/Magnum Photos)
Magnum PhotographersPakistan, 1983. Breakfast tea being passed between cars on the railway between Peshawar and Lahore. Steve McCurry writes: “Tea is such an important part of Pakistan’s culture that a tea plant is on the state emblem of the country. Tea is served with every meal, for tea breaks during the workday, and for any and every social occasion. The fleeting moment captured in this image demonstrates the integral part the nation’s elixir plays in daily life, even for the travellers on this train”. (Photo by Steve McCurry/Magnum Photos)
Kyaiktiyo, Burma, 1978. The Golden Rock at Shwe Pyi Daw (the Golden Country), the Buddhist holy place. Hiroji Kubota writes: “I was desperate to keep a distance from America for a while; luckily, I found Burma and its gentle and compassionate people. In the spring of 1978, on the top of the hill where I took this photo, I had two Leica bodies: the one with Tri-X and the other with Kodachrome 64. Soon after, I realised that the colour one looked very colourful and was more powerful. That was my decisive moment, to become a colour photographer”. (Photo by Hiroji Kubota/Magnum Photos)
Lamontville, Natal, South Africa, 1994. Supporters climb to every vantage point whilst awaiting the arrival of Nelson Mandela. Ian Berry writes: “I went to South Africa three weeks before the election that everybody anticipated would bring the ANC and Mandela to power. Even this long before, my press accreditation was numbered over 300 ... Although, thousands of images later, I managed to get to him exclusively, this picture, perhaps not for me an HCB moment, best summed up the enthusiasm and support that Mandela invoked”. (Photo by Ian Berry/Magnum Photos)
http://avax.news/fact/Magnum_Photographers.html
Magnum Photos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnum_Photos
馬格蘭攝影通訊社(Magnum Photos,又名馬格蘭圖片社)

沒有留言:

網誌存檔